Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Suffering, Sacrifice, Patience, and Love

I like to play “roulette” with a few of my favorite books by opening a random page, and reading what I find as a meditation for the day.

This morning I read:

Suffering puts us in touch with what is really important. Sacrifice spells out our commitment and confirms our love.

In hindsight, I observe growth in my ability to acknowledge this statement as truth. When I numbed or clouded feelings of suffrage with alcohol, drugs, food, men, work, and busyness I ceased to become the woman God wants me to be. Somehow and someway God blessed me with moments of spiritual clarity so I could feel, hear, and see what is important in life. I do not claim to be a saint, less than ethical living and dark days come at times; however, there is a truth within me that pulls me out of the insanity of a self-destructive lifestyle.

Sacrifice equates with patience. Patience has been learned only through practice. Feeling uncomfortable in my own skin is exacerbated when I refuse to sacrifice with patience. Recognizing the discomfort, embracing the feeling, and awaiting God’s next blessing is the best option for remaining a whole and happy person. When I put God’s plan first and love myself enough to see the plan, I am demonstrating love on all levels with all people.

Suffering, sacrifice, and patience provide me with the ability to enjoy and demonstrate love in my life.

Say less.

Listen more.

Pray.

Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment