Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Blog Drafting

I have been attempting to blog for many days but I have been unsuccessful at finishing each entry. Today’s blog will be long and with many topics. This is the combined blog of many drafts.

I was attending a meeting two nights ago with one of my favorite Kellys. An odd sense of flash backing suddenly presented itself as a friend from the past entered the room unexpectedly. I have thought perhaps I would see her again sometime, I was just not sure when… Another one surrendered the fight and so it goes. The surrender of others from my past brings remnants of my old self. A physical reaction often accompanies this type of scenario. I suspect these situations are good for me, as they remind me of why I am where I am today.

The topic of discussion at the meeting that night was faith. Very good topic, however, I find myself never wanted to speak at meetings. I prefer to listen even when topics are related to current experience. At this meeting specifically, I was also managing symptoms and random glances in memory as my unexpected old friend/now new friend was seated next to me.

Nonetheless, while I do not like speaking in front of others I found myself sharing on the hill in Peru with Dito and his camera. Dito has uploaded the documentary to youtube from the December trip. His work is amazing.

Matthew Kelly articulates the importance of storytelling. He writes:

We are the storytellers. What type of stories are we telling? I promise you with absolute certitude – the future depends on the stories we tell. The future belongs to storytellers. What will your story be?

Dito is a true advocate for the people who live on the hill. He shares their story profoundly through the creative expressions of his camera work.



As I think of times from the distant past and the more recent past, I wonder how I transformed from empty, desperate and hopeless to motivated, with faith and whole. God’s grace has provided me with a second chance at life, and in a walk of faith the blessings pour.

Speaking of blessings, Sunday was Mother’s Day. I celebrate my mother in my heart and mind every day. I am grateful to have my mother in my life; she is such a remarkable person. I called her the other evening to let her know I claimed her as the emergency contact for me and Field Marshall while we are out of the country in Peru this summer. I always make my mother my emergency contact. I can think of no one else more accountable and trustworthy.

Interestingly, I was born on Mother’s Day 31 years ago to the date. I am officially 31 as of 30 minutes ago. Where did the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment