A personal challenge over the years has been to practice patience and understanding with people in my life who do not demonstrate the same level of attention to what I deem important. Who am I to say my methods are correct or the only way? We are all unique individuals, children of God, and should be loved always for who and where we are in life.
My focuses today are surrender and love. Surrender to all matters and love of all people. I have this illusion that somehow I have control over external circumstances when I know in reality, I have none. The only control I do have pertains to my thoughts, beliefs, actions, and faith that God is working in my life always.
The Big Book of AA tells me lack of power was my dilemma: Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?
I am blessed to have found the power in God.
I enjoyed reading about two concepts presented in Matthew Kelly’s Rediscovering Catholicism: The first concept is singleness of purpose and the second relates to friendships and the people I am most called to be surrounded by.
As Matthew discusses, my decisions should be made according to my purpose; the ultimate singleness of purpose as becoming the best version of myself with my sub-purpose as I have shared in a previous entry: serving and knowing God through quality relationships for the advocacy and empowerment of those in need. When I am faced with anything in my life, I know the next right thing for me to do is to make a decision that best molds me to fit the ultimate purpose and my personal sub-purpose. Following this guideline ensures alignment with God’s will.
Matthew writes:
God wants you to become all you can be, and in the process he wants you to experience the greatest mystery of them all – love. God invites you to embark on the adventure of unveiling and actualizing your unimagined potential. This is the adventure of salvation – and we make this journey by learning to love God, neighbor, self, and indeed, life. This is the Journey of the Soul, the adventure of salvation, and the quest for love.
Who I surround myself with is essential to living out my purpose. I am drawn to people who grasp the truest meaning of life, love all people, and carry out a sincere desire to live God’s will. I am guided by people who are seeking to learn and improve themselves.
Matthew provides one simple question for gauging friendship, Will spending time with this person make we want to be a better person?
My commitment today is to surrender the control that really does not exist anyway, to live love, and to spend my time and energy on the people who inspire me and cause me to continue improving myself.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment