Thursday, April 9, 2009

Reflections from Short Stop Peru

My short stop to Peru was well worth the travel. Day one provided the opportunity to attend the concert put on by V4Peru. About 800 people gathered in the unique concert arena in the heart of Ventanilla.



The community of Lomas was bussed down and everyone congregated for seating in the bleachers, somewhat symbolic of the life on the hill.



As a side note, I find it interesting that in the States it seems poverty increases in lower living locations while in Peru poverty intensifies on the rise.

Back to the show.

The concert lent much variety with different hip hop dance groups, a speaker with a powerful message, and more singing and dancing. I was not expecting to be called to the stage, but at the end of the evening Rosita insisted I was front stage and center. Being put on the spot in front of large groups of people is not a comforting feeling for me, at this point in my journey anyway. My words were brief, however, in the end I felt blessed to have the opportunity to acknowledge the power of Lomas and to thank God. Lomas appeared to enjoy the words so my moments of discomfort were worth the feelings of awkwardness.

Also, I must say I am quite excited about the collared V4Peru shirt given to me for wearing at the event and take home.



A tragic event occurred prior to the concert, at the time in which preparation was to take place. Lucho, husband of Rosita, fell off the stage onto the concrete and busted his head. So the morning and afternoon was filled with the aftermath of a horrible accident. God blessed the situation with healing for Lucho; his head was stitched and the cat scan showed no severe head trauma. I do hope he continues to improve and recover well.

The other significant event occurring on the hill during my brief travel entailed the engagement of a nutritionist, Mr. Taylor.





Mr. Taylor serves populations of children in Peru with a nutritional program and he was able to convene with me, Dito, and Amix to meet the children and families and observe the site in which a community kitchen will be built this summer. When I reflect back to my first meetings with the people of Lomas, I am in awe of the progress made in regard to future hope for higher quality living and self-sufficiency.








So now I have returned home with my next trip planned for July of this year. I love Peru. When I stated this fact to Dito as I was preparing to board the plane he told me Peru loves me too. A unique and very special soul companionship has been given to me as a gift from God. I am eternally grateful this gift. I dance for joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment