Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Themed Writing Begins

I was thinking about focusing my writing on a theme for awhile. I have incorporated concepts from Matthew Kelly’s books into some of my blog entries since the time I joined the world of the blogspot, and I recently began working for his Foundation. I will be focusing my writing for awhile on themes from his books and how the ideas relate to my life. So the trial begins.

I am in awe of how God weaves people in and out of my life at various ‘coincidental’ times. One of my favorite things in life is being useful and helpful to others when needed. I received a call from my best childhood friend this evening.




I found this old picture from when we turned a wagon into our own personal station for Kool-Aid entrepreneurship.




The reason we were able to reconnect recently is due to technology advancements of our current day and age. She expressed a need for help in her family; because of my personal history and experience, I was able to be useful today to the people I considered as my second family in childhood. In fact, I think I spent as much time with them as I did my own family.

I believe some hope has been instilled today. I will be praying for the family and will continue to remain available to them.

Being available and present for others in need are ways in which I can contribute. I want to live an authentic life. Matthew Kelly talks in depth about living authentically in his book Rediscovering Catholicism. I have a habit of earmarking pages when something calls out to me from the reading. I enjoy going back and re reading the sentences, paragraphs, or pages that draw my attention most. This is what called to me most last evening when I was reading:

The authentic life begins with the simple but profound desire to play the part God has designed for us in human history. The unfathomable adventure of salvation begins when we stop asking, “What’s in it for me?” and turn humbly to God in our hearts and ask, How do I serve? What work do you wish for me to do with my life? What is your will for my life? -MK

This is the key to happiness. When I turn my attention away from self-seeking desires and motives and toward life as a servant, I find the true happiness God wants for me to find. Today I had the unique opportunity to reunify and be of service to a family I spent most of my childhood surrounded by, and tomorrow I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open to the opportunities of servitude. In service I find answers, in answers I find happiness, and in happiness I find true inner peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment