Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blog Fog?

My mind and schedule of time is consumed while in Peru. I cannot seem to find a focus for one or two blogger subjects. I was encouraged by Dito to blog-write regardless, so here goes a free-write about various things.

Today I burnt my feet. They are quite red. I thought I was shaded more at the beach today but physical evidence is pointing toward pure self-neglect of my skin. The good news is, despite my burning feet problem, the day was a huge success. A trip to the beach with approximately fifteen youth resulted in community building and solidified my purpose for being here in Peru. The smiles on the faces of the girls and boys when they discover water and sand are near is remarkable; there is no running water on the hill and group outings are not common.


I decided to take Dito’s position in the volleyball match. I have never played volleyball and was quite certain my very beginner status would be noticeable by everyone present on the beach. I was correct. Everyone noticed how horrible I was at the game, and my last attempt to volley lost the game for the team. I think this was a profound moment for me. I recall from my trip in December, a sense of fear and embarrassment in the eyes of Barrito from the hill when he was in an area he is usually not welcomed. No eye contact, head down slightly, and robotic pace in walk. Showing the people from the hill that we are no different and that I too, can hold my head up and enjoy moments when I feel out of place or awkward no matter where I come from, where I am, and where I am going. I love the concept that we are all children of God. I love it because it is one of the truest statements. I often wonder why I have so many things while so much of the world is living in conditions that provide days of pure joy when nutritious food is available for eating a meal and water is available for bathing.

On a last note, I was staring up at a Marriott Hotel this evening. I discovered that a room at the Marriott for one night is equal in cost to the completion of a kitchen center for the children and families on the hill. I suggested Dito take his video camera up to the hotel for a controversial yet intriguing assignment in which he interviews random Marriott consumers. Consumers would be asked about the daily Marriott expenditure and then Dito would compare pricing to the building of a community center kitchen for the duration of the lives of people on the hill. He could then ask if they would be willing to spend one night in a nice, local hotel room in the area while donating just one evenings’ stay to change the lives of a community forever.



Hmmm... I guess this is all I have today for my free write. I think the exercise was good for me, just writing when I cannot think of something to type out initially. Thanks Dito.

No comments:

Post a Comment