Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Voice, Heart, and Hum

Sometimes I struggle with the blog concept due to public space exposure. But for some reason I blog anyway, trying to find my voice on the type pad. My challenges in blog writing come from my tendency to think before I write; meaning I question whether or not certain words or sentences should be written or stated differently. For now I do my best with creative expressions, while maintaining an awareness and acknowledgment when I veer into formalities of writing.

I descended from a 5 hour 30 minute flight from Lima, Peru to Miami, Florida. My mood is depressed as I face challenges of readjusting to culture after departing from a place I would love to call home. Over coffee with Dito last evening when awaiting Amix’s return from an English class, I was sharing a list of the most powerful and God-conscious moments from eight, full days in Peru with beautiful people. My list was stopped for need to change topics to upcoming business arrangements for Amix and Dito, however, I could go on for days about the inspiration, love, hope, empowerment, relationships, adventures, humor and laughter in just one short week spent working with and for the people of the hill. I plan to tie in parts of my lengthy list of powerful and God-conscious moments to future blogger postings.

God lives within me each moment, but for some reason, God reaches my heart with an unfamiliar depth when I am present in Peru and working to uplift the humanity of people who have lived in the most extreme poverty. I experience external conflict of cultural differences. I experience an internal piercing-gut emotional response when reflecting on the life I have always known and the life that could be.



An older woman seated next to me on the plane noticed my tears as we were descending to the ground. We spoke briefly. The woman looked me in the eyes and with Peruvian-accented English, she stated “nothing is impossible if you want it.” Not a complex statement, but my heart heard the message today. I think I will hum on that for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment