I am working on some writing a bit longer in length, so I am slightly detoured from the blogspot today. I thought I would post a portion from my other writing piece:
I share my horrific past because this is what makes me who I am today. My experiences and events over the past ten years make up the Getting Sober and Human chapter of my life. Ten full years dedicated to self discovery and I know much more is to come. From 1998 to 2008, I worked on me. I stayed sober. I learned how to live. I learned how to work, cook, eat, clean, read, write, study, care, listen, and feel. I watched other people living out seemingly healthy lives and figured out how to be a good daughter, partner, and mother, how to share my life with other people, and I found out who I was and what I wanted out of life. Most importantly, I formed a relationship with God. God is the constant truth in my life and without God, I have nothing.
During the first year of my new enlightenment period I grappled with the idea that I could take just one more drink. On three occasions, I gave into to the notion that I could now drink like normal people. Each of the three occasions lent substantial evidence that this was not the case. Each “one” drink led to many, many others. I experienced nothing other than full-blown binges on anything I could consume in a 24 hour period before passing out.
Today I am grateful for the remorse I felt after each drinking relapse, and I am grateful to the people who loved me during this first-year period when I had not yet learned how to love myself.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment