Monday, March 30, 2009

We are One and News is Good

I was thinking back to the evening a few weeks ago when I was sitting at a Starbucks in Peru. I was sipping on my beverage of choice when I peered through the glass that separated the street walk from the patio section of the franchise coffee store. I observed an aged, homeless man on the other side of the glass. I watched him as it took every fiber of his being to assimilate folded cardboard boxes into a chair for sitting. The building process took several minutes. Once he was seated, the man was able to take what I perceived to be a long, overdue nap.



There I was, sitting on a cushioned, comfy Starbucks seat sipping a tasty caffeinated beverage only a few feet from a man who was most likely thirsty, hungry, and tired with no drink, food, or place to lay his head. The glass served as a symbol of division between the haves and the have nots. Why am I the one on the inside of the glass? And why is this elderly man’s life stock appear to be flattened cardboard boxes and the seat produced by his labor? Doesn’t he deserve the same latte? Don’t I deserve to the same cardboard chair? Why do we appear so different when we are all children of God?

I recall this section from the book Rhythm of Life:

The greatest barrier to loving people, to cherishing people, and to accepting people is our inability to see ourselves in them. Take a closer look. We are one. To see ourselves in others and others in ourselves – that is wisdom. When you give to assist in someone else’s need, you learn very quickly that the satisfaction of giving is greater than the satisfaction of having. -MK


I wrote the above blog section prior to a second job interview, and now it is evening. I am finishing my blogspot type-out for the day.

I sensed the interview went quite well and I was informed I would hear something by the end of the week. A few hours after I returned home, my mother sent me a video clip of the author and founder of the Foundation where I applied:

http://www.eaglestalent.com/speaker-bureau,2572,presenter,leadership-and-productivity-expert-Matthew-Kelly,speaker.asp

And, as I was viewing the clip, the phone rang… Good news!

I am reflecting on my gratitude for God's grace. I will continue to strive for excellence in giving back for what I have been so freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment