Thursday, March 19, 2009

Love of Books

I did not read a full book until I was 20 years old. I was not an avid student in my youth, I just got by. Today my life is quite different. I have grown in appreciation of education and one of my favorite pastimes is enjoying the read of a good book.

I was encouraged by my two favorite Kellys to read Elizabeth Gilbert’s eat, pray, love. I have barely cracked open the book and already I have found great truths on her pages. I highly recommend Gilbert’s bestseller to interested readers.

I was just speaking last week to a friend about my style of prayer. I shared that I do not pray for things but instead ask for guidance, to hear and see what I need to hear and see, and I repeat the prayer of Saint Francis often. Then last evening I read a profound page in Gilbert’s book and I just love it. I must share. Elizabeth (Liz) Gilbert was speaking with her friend Iva about her opinion on prayer, which very closely relates, or related rather, to my own.

From page 32 of eat pray love:



I explained to Iva my personal opinions about prayer. Namely, that I don’t feel comfortable petitioning for specific things from God, because that feels to me like a weakness of faith. I don’t like asking, “Will you change this or that thing in my life that’s difficult for me?” Because – who knows? – God might want me to be facing that particular challenge for a reason. Instead, I feel more comfortable praying for the courage to face whatever occurs in my life with equanimity, no matter how things turn out.

Iva listened politely then asked, "Where’d you get that stupid idea?”

“What do you mean?”

“Where did you get the idea you aren’t allowed to petition the universe with prayer? You are part of this universe, Liz. You’re a constituent – you have every entitlement to participate in the action of the universe and let your feelings be known. So put your opinion out there. Make your case. Believe me – it will at least be taken into consideration.”


Gilbert’s response was that the whole concept was news to her, and it is indeed news to me. I experienced what I claim to be an ‘aha’ moment, when I fully grasp a new concept, a concept that makes complete sense and can be applied to my life immediately. Gilbert went on to petition God. I think I will do the same from now on when faced with great challenge. Thanks Liz.

No comments:

Post a Comment